[Sca-cooks] Dried or smoked sausages

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 19:40:31 PDT 2014

>Greetings everyone.
>
>I am working from the phone this week and cannot seem to get the florigium
>to load.  After getting two deer, I was wondering if there are period
>sources for dried or smoked sausage.  Thanks!
>
>Aldyth

Rumpolt has recipes for venison sausage (as well as other sausage recipes)

 From the  menus
Sausage made from a deer (Hirsch)/ nicely cooked warm and sprinkled
with parsley root and whole pepper.

Hirsch (Deer) 13.  Sausage from the deer intestines.  Take the deer
intestines/ and let the slime be cleaned out/ if it is fatty/ and not
mortally wounded/ then leave it on/ Take the internal roast/ and the
fat/ that lays by the kidneys (suet)/ and a little beef fat with it/
then it becomes even better tasting.  Because the venison fat is very
bitter and hard/ when it becomes cold/ and if one eats it/ it stays
on the roof of the mouth/

But it is better that/ one takes bacon to it/ and chops it through
each other with the deer meat/ mixes it with spices/ pepper and
ginger/ beats eggs into it/ and stuff the intestines with it/ tie it
closed with a string/ and throw it it in hot boiling water/ and let
simmer completely to the place (until completely done)/ lay it on a
grill/ and brown it/ on all both sides/ then give it dry on a table/
that it is nicely warm.

And such sausage you can cook/ be it yellow or white/ parsley root/
or green herbs/ also with a good beef broth is well tasting/ You
might also prepare them in a pepper (sauce)/ also the intestines
carved/ and given with the brawn/ also/ that they are stuffed with
eggs and rice/ as one fills the beef intestines.

Hirsch 25.  To make Italian Zurwanada (Italian sausage) from the
deer.  Take the wide meat from the hind quarter/ cut it small with a
knife/ take pork from the hindleg/ that is fatty/ chop with the
venison/ and take the largest and strongest/ wash it out clean/

and before you reverse it/ then pick the fat completely away from the
deer/ leave not even a poppy seed large on it/ because otherwise it
quickly becomes rancid/  Then turn it inside out/ and clean the slime
out/ and dry it out well with a cloth/ that no drop of water comes in
there/ neither outside nor inside/

Then take salt/ put it in a pan/ make it dry and warm/ put it in a
mortar/ and pound it well small/ then take it out/ take whole pepper/
put it in a mortar/ beat it a just a little/ that the kernels drop
apart/ take the pepper/ and mix it with the salt/ rub the meat/ that
you have chopped small/ with it/ that it becomes well salted and
spiced.

Anyway see/ that you do not put completely to much salt in there/
that it is not over salted.  The Italians take everything according
to the weight/ but it shows itself quickly/ if there is too much or
too little/ one has too much to do/ that one should always carry
weights and balance with him.

Take the meat/ and stuff it in the intestines/ and press it firmly/
and when you see that the intestine develops bubbles/ and the meat
does not come over each other??/ then tamp the intestine with a
needle point or a bodkin/ then it it goes even sooner over each
other/ and becomes firm/ Tie the sausage closed/ and hang the sausage
in smoke/ yet not in a chimney/ that no heat comes to it/ that it
only becomes dry/ the longer you let it hang in there/ the better and
redder it becomes/ and it keeps a year and a day.

However if you are in a crew/ then spread it with olive oil/ and
enclose in barrels/ then they keep a year or three.  Such sausages
are also good to make with beef and pork/ that no fat says on the
intestines/ then it does not become rancid/ And such sausages you can
well make from clean pork or beef/ with bacon that is not salted/ and
the meat/ that belongs in such intestines/ you must not lay it in
water/ but rather as it was gutted/ because it is spoiled from the
water/ and becomes stinking.

If you do not have any intestines/ then take the bladder/ then the
sausages become that much thicker and larger/ and when you cook them/
and they are small/ then you should let them simmer an hour or two.
However when they are thick and large/ then you must let them simmer
an hour four or five/ however that you do not over cook them/ let
them become cool/ then you can eat them/ and you can also keep them a
week six or seven/

especially in winter/ when you travel over the land/ you can cut a
piece from it and eat it anytime/ then you taste it after a good
drink.  And such sausages one must make in winter/ the colder it is/
the better it is.  Is also good for a poor soldier/ that must be in
the field a year and a day/ because the pepper and salt conserve it/
becomes good and well tasting.  They can also be given for a salad/
and when you carve them/ then pull the skin off/ then you will see
the pepper corns between the red meat/ makes one pleased to eat.

Dendel (Fallow Deer) 21.  ... You can also well make sausages with
garlic/ Take no more than fresh bacon and garlic/ cut it into the
roast/ pepper it/ and see/ that you do not oversalt it.  Take pig
intestines/ or from a fallow deer/ clean the slime out/ and make it
clean/ stuff the meat in/ thus you have a garlic sausage.

Reh (Roe Deer) 11.  Sausage from a roe deer.  Take the great
intestine from the roe/ clean the slime out/ take small roasts/ or
the meat from a deer leg/ chop it small with fresh bacon/ spice it
with ground pepper/ fill the intestine with it/ you might roast it/
or take it to make in (a sauce)/ it is in good in all sorts of ways.

Ranvaig