[Sca-cooks] Who invented the hamburger?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 21 07:53:19 PDT 2015

Suey wrote:
>1. Re: Who invented the hamburger? (lilinah at earthlink.net)
>I am having problems with my mail - pls excuse my format -  anyway clearly
>we have meatballs in the 13th century Anon MS. Barajas-Benevides ventures
>to call them hamburgers and perhaps that is what Stefan is refering to as I
>quoted him in one of my blogs but I did do with tongue in cheek as I feel
>that until Hamburg, Germany claimed the fame I wonder how far we can
>stretch this. (Also Barajas-Benevides is a pain as he uses no footnotes.)
>
>The Hispano-Arabic meatballs varied in size so we can say that the larger
>ones could be labeled as hamburgers today although the name did not exist
>then. Certainly if we quote the 15 C Hispano-Arab MS, we should be able to
>
>By the way, the Anon Al Andalus #78 is for a big fish, not hamburger. I
>think there is a typo there. . . as we certainly have lots of meatball
>recipes in that MS.

Absolutely NOT meatballs (kababs). Very definitely minced meat PATTIES (lamburgers)
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian1.htm#Heading3
I think it is the tastiest.

Another variation which is definitely for meat PATTIES (lamburgers)
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian1.htm#Heading2

This one is for kababs, that is meatballs
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian2.htm#Heading80

This one makes fish patties
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian7.htm#Heading373

Urtatim