[Sca-cooks] Secret History of Cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:43:16 PDT 2015

<<< Interesting article on Cheese

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=54acb44b82a1b03a342300db6&id=ae2c43afd6&e=bed6cd1489

Johnnae >>>

Oh my.

"The reliance on cheese as a means of survival probably accounts for our historical tolerance for spoilage and even outright rot in our cheese. The pinnacle of this tolerance may actually be yet another Sardinian cheese: the infamous casu marzu (literally: rotted cheese). The cheese is known amongst daring foodies for incorporating live larvae, probably originally accidentally introduced but now enticed into a pecorino sheep’s cheese left out in the open sky with its top rind cut off. Once inside, these maggots digest the cheese, secreting lagrima (“tears” of gastric byproduct known to forensic entomologists as “black putrification”) and churning it into a creamy sludge with a monstrous taste and the stench of death about it.”

I think I’ll stick to “normal” cheese.  The article does elaborate nicely on the possible origins of cheese creation, which we’ve discussed before.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris