[Sca-cooks] British Museum and a Roman Bread recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Aug 13 19:50:41 PDT 2015

"Biga" isn't just sourdough starter.  It can also refer to a sponge produced
from yeast, flour and water.  It is worth noting that the written recipe
calls for biga acida (sourdough).

Whole meal is whole wheat flour, but you would be advised to use something
like King Arthur's White Whole Wheat or a pastry flour rather than a coarser
milling.  Using the spelt and the whole wheat flours is valid, but the Roman
meal would likely have been from emmer rather than modern common wheat.
Buckwheat is almost certainly out.

Locatelli's dough is fairly soft for a period bread dough, which means the
baker's mark will make a deeper impression than in a stiffer dough.

I've got to do some looking in my references.  I've done some Roman breads
and I may have a period recipe that meets the criteria for the preserved
loaf.  However, I'm in Gold Canyon, AZ at the minute and about 2 weeks from
my notebooks.

Bear

hmm… in the video, Locatelli uses buckwheat flour; the Museum written recipe
says spelt & "whole meal" (American would be whole wheat, yes?) and adds
gluten.

in the video, Locatelli uses just "biga" -- sourdough. The Museum written
recipe adds modern yeast and gluten, as well as "biga".

Any ideas on why the Museum made so many changes to Locatelli's version?
Does drive us crazy (at our house), when the Museums and Universities do
this kind of thing -- they have a perfectly good object and then "reproduce"
it with weird and unnecessary changes and tell the public the result is
"authentic". argh!!  (particularly, the bread RECIPE is absolutely NOT
"older than the Colosseum"!)

I thought the string and stamp things were marvelous, although Locatelli's
maker's mark weight was obviously much too heavy.

very interesting. makes me think I might want to try it a couple of times,
with all the variations. I have sourdoughs (3), that's probably the biggest
stumbling block for most "modern" home bakers. anybody else? (maybe I can
just be lazy and wait for other's results?  8-)  )

chimene & gerek