[Sca-cooks] Period Sweet Potatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Dec 2 08:39:39 PST 2015

If you think this one is fun, try The Potato Project
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/emforum/collaborate/primary/potato/ .
I've been clicking on the map to get reference pointers, then chasing down
the references on Google.  If you are into potatoes and sweet potatoes, this
is a fine place to start.

They are also looking for pre-1850 potato references and I've sent them a
couple that don't show up on their map.  They are a little short on recipes,
so I'm hoping some of the people on this list that have translated various
sweet potato recipes or have early modern recipes in their cookbook
collections will provide the project source material.  Most of my cookbooks
and other source materials are packed and in storage, so I'm limited on the
help I can provide.

Enjoy the site and support the project if you can.

Bear

Hampton Court has a blog about their attempt to grow sweet potatoes,
apparently a favored dish of Henry VIII.
http://blog.hrp.org.uk/gardeners/history-of-sweet-potato/

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming