[Sca-cooks] Does anyone know of an English language source for Pi?maniye (Turkish cotton candy)?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 11 15:57:06 PDT 2015

>The Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi%C5%9Fmaniye) claims
>that there's a 1430s reference to it, but the source referenced is a book
>and looks like it's in Turkish.  I'd love to have a citation in English
>that I could use to verify the date.
>
>Cotton candy looks like it would be a fun dessert or subtlety if the date
>holds up and it is period.
>
>- ??rfinnr Hr??geirsson

I sent this last night @ 7:08 PM PDT, but it doesn't appear in the Digest so I'm sending it again...

The pre-1430 recipe is among the recipes add by Shirvani to his translation into Eski Osmanli of al-Baghdadi's cookbook at the request of Sultan Murad III. I say pre-1430 because Shirvani died in 1430. I cannot at the moment share the recipe with you because my computer - with my translations of all 87 recipes Shirvani added - was stolen yesterday.

My friend Behiye bint Kismet, recent Laureled in Ansteorra for her research into Ottoman food and clothing, has made it. It is nothing like cotton candy. Johnna has sent you to a good video describing the process.

Urtatim al-Qurtubiyya