[Sca-cooks] Tacuinum Sanitatis translations

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 23 07:00:08 PDT 2015

Whoops - just found a review on JSTOR <http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3049645.pdf?acceptTC=true>, and it has some troubling things to say, such as referring readers to the original Italian edition for "complete philological and critical documentation, and further references," cutting the contents by a third, condensing the original author's commentary (while sometimes keeping text that refers to material that has been cut) and eliminating all footnotes, comparative illustrations, and Latin captions and inscriptions.  Then again, it would only be $4.50 and the pictures are pretty....

Sandra