[Sca-cooks] Tacuinum Sanitatis translations

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Jul 23 21:06:57 PDT 2015

I have looked at both the original Italian and the Ratti/Westbrook English translation. My impression was that the English version is pretty faithful to Cogliati Arano's Italian. More to the point, the section of the book with the reproductions of the plates is effectively identical in both the Italian and the English.

One key issue is that the Tacuinum is a translation of an 11th century Arabic work, the Taqwim al-Sihha of Ibn Butlan. This work lists 280 items, describing them in a tabular format, together with a brief narrative summarizing detailing the views of several authorities from the Classical period. The Taqwim has not been translated into English; however, a critical Arabic edition with a French translation was published by the Academie royale de Belgique in 1990 -- Elkhadem, H. Le Taqwim al-Sihha (Tacuinum Sanitatis) d'Ibn Butlan: un traite medical du XI siecle: Histoire du Texte, Edition Critique, Traduction, Commentaire.

Finally, I will engage in a bit of shameless self-promotion. At the end of 2013, I published an article in Petits Propos Culinaires, issue 99, pp. 69 - 89. This article includes a table/concordance similar to that at the end of Cogliati-Arano; however, I included the original Taqwim and an additional Vienna manuscript.

-- Galefridus