[Sca-cooks] International Air travel prohibitions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jul 24 18:11:47 PDT 2015

Air travel regulations specify what you can have in carry-on luggage and
most of the things you are talking about having confiscated can be
transported in checked baggage.  You have no inherent right to fly and you
are contracting with a separate party for transportation in a vehicle that
will be regulated national regulations and international agreements.  If you
wish to avoid those pesky security regulations, you need to own your own
aircraft.  I'm not a fan of the TSA, but for air travel in and out of the
U.S., there is fairly clear information on what can be in a carry-on, what
can be in a checked bag, and what is completely prohibited posted on the TSA
website.

Drugs, in most countries, are usually the province of customs of officers
and some form of federal police.  Customs officers generally have the right
to search without warrant and seize anything that violates import/export
laws within certain limitations.  At an international airport, there aren't
many limitations.  Over zealous and criminally inclined customs officers are
a problem for any customs service.

Importing agricultural products or unprocessed foodstuffs is a world in
itself.  Every country and a number of states and provinces have rules that
they enforce rigorously.  In the U.S., you are required to declare
everything in the category that you are bringing in to Customs and Border
Security.  Failure to declare results in confiscation and possibly a civil
fine.  In addition to a customs declaration, you may be required to file
additional paperwork with the USDA.  I'd check with the customs services of
the countries you are entering before you leave.

Your chocolate turtles may have been seized because they were a brand that
is restricted from import or it may be a bent customs officer with a sweet
tooth.

Bear

As this is the time to travel, I am wondering about airline restrictions.
How can they be reduced to common language?

Last year, the pine kernels I brought from Spain to Chile were confiscated
and I was threatened like a thief with a $500 fine. It was a horrible
experience as I didn’t think should have been declared anything. They were
my part of my personal possessions.

Meantime a friend sent me a box of chocolate turtles from Texas and they
were confiscated by Chilean authorities and not delivered to me. On other
occasions, creams and sun blocks have been confiscated from my purse in
Madrid, Miami, Kennedy etc  because the tubes were "too big." Even my tooth
paste was stolen from me by airport “authorities”! -

We all have experiences of them confiscating nail clippers, cork screws, tin
bracelets, matches, lighters. You name it, airport “authorities” are after
us to take whatever from us as if we are partners in crime of the Padrino’s
mafia. Airport attendants are after us for whatever. They even undress my
innocent friends and some of yours too and examine their insides for drugs.
What happened to the law “innocent until proven guilty”? Now it seems we are
guilty unless we can pay big bucks to high class lawyers to be prove us
innocent.

Can we protect ourselves from “authorities” who “have the right” to steal
whatever from us? Does the honest citizen have any rights?

This year I want to take to Spain:  lucema and cochayuyo.

Should I declare it or is it ok to take as is? How can I know that what I am
doing is legal or how do I go about being legal?