[Sca-cooks] Cooking Apps

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:10:17 PDT 2015

  My favorite, bar none, of the various cooking software thingies I've
tried is Pepperplate.  There's an iOS version, Android version, and desktop
version...and they all talk to each other, and store offline.  The desktop
version also is very good at snagging recipes from recipe-websites, so
you're not stuck filling in all the fields yourself.  That said, even
manual data entry is simple and effective.  And you can sort recipes all
sorts of ways, even adding in your own food-categories (I've added a field
called "medieval" for instance, so I can easily pull up an alphabetically
sorted list of, say, all medieval poultry charcuterie dishes, to use three
categories at once). Also a nice immense field to add your own notes and
comments and ratings for each recipe.

So my usual methodology is...come across some neat recipe online on the
laptop.  Click import, or copy-paste into the program.  Or enter your own
creation in manually.  Add sort-tags.   Then later, when I want to cook, I
let the wifi talk to the tablet, and it's there too.  And should I want to
cook it later, say, at an event, it's still there on the tablet.  There's
auto-scaling and shopping list and time management elements too, but I've
barely used those except for one feast.

Best of all?  FREE.  Full disclosure...I am not affiliated with these folks
at all, except as an end user.  But if I were to write software for a
recipe manager ( assuming I could code software, which I can't), it would
be like this.

Gwyn