[Sca-cooks] Essential Knives?

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Sun Jul 26 14:56:11 PDT 2015

we have mostly junk, good bread knives tho'. but then we're not doing mega-cooking these days: only 3 of us, 2 picky-eaters, one Type 2…

Our most recent investment was a couple of Wusthof's: a "Gourmet" Wusthof paring knife (because we'd lost my "legacy"-but-junk paring knife of that profile (my fav.)); and a Grand Prix II fileting knife, because we often have to skin our fillets of halibut… home-made halibut fish-n-chips are a regular menu item, local meat counters sometimes skin the filets and sometimes do NOT! argh. DH loves his new knife-y! Although the first thing BOTH of us did with our new toys was slice ourselves!

we have all sorts of family legacy stuff, like my farm-grandma's cleaver with the hammer-marks on the spine -- I have NO idea how big a bone she was going through! Daddy bought a carving set for a souvenir of NYC when he was going through on the way home from WWII -- we never use it, I have no idea of quality or not… my fav. knife for YEARS was an all aluminum "never have to sharpen it" thing I got at an OR State Fair booth, at least 40 years ago? DH thinks it's dull now (you were only ever supposed to take it back to the booth if you thought it needed sharpening), but I still like it best for bread! has a contoured & textured handle, no ID marks on the blade at all but a sort-of escutcheon with an "A" on the handle (as best we can make out, VERY worn); didn't see anything like it on-line

FWIW, chimene