[Sca-cooks] watermelons

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jul 28 12:50:37 PDT 2015

"The principal text in Pliny which MAY refer to a melon (and I  forwarded it
myself early on) may also refer to a pumpkin;"

Pliny writes, " cum magnitudine excessere, pepones vocantur."  or "when
these are very large they are "pepones"."  "Pepones" translates to "large
melons" or "pumpkins."  From various sources you can find that the word is
used to refer to large round curcubits and the precise usage is dependent
upon the time and place used.  Pumpkin in the modern usage is ruled out by
being a large, round New World cucurbit.

While I agree it is difficult to demonstrate a continuous knowledge of a
specific foodstuff, it is also worth noting absence of evidence is not
evidence of absence.   The watermelon appears to have been well known around
the Mediterranean from Antiquity into early Medieval.  It shows up in Roman
mosaics from the 6th Century BCE thru the 5th Century CE.  There is a hiatus
in images until about 1300 when an accurate illustration appears in the
Tractus de herbis.  Maimonides references Syrian watermelons in the 12th
Century as does the Andalusian physician Abu al-Kahyr al-Ishbili (11/12th
Centuries).  Watermelon seeds have been discovered in Medieval Hungarian
sites, one dating to the 12/13th Centuries.  I suspect that watermelon (and
other melons) were grown where they could grow throughout the Medieval
period.

Bear