[Sca-cooks] Coffee Redux - a Look at The History of Coffee

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 07:37:29 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

Tantalizingly, The Devils Cup provides a footnote that, "... the British
> Journal of Mythic Society VII claims that in A.D. 1385 Emperor Harihara II
> of Vijayanagar (now Mysore) ordered that all imports for Peta Math enter
> tax free  in 'return for coffee seeds.' "  If true, were they for medicine
> or drink?  If they latter, then Abd-al-Kadir's tale might be less
> apocryphal as the timeline would fit it better.

  If anyone were inclined to have a read through the relevant Mythic
Society volume, there's a PDF at:

https://indianhistorybooks5.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/4990010047643-the-quarterly-journal-of-the-mythic-societyvol-71916-1917-n-a-374p-social-science-english-1917.pdf

  The PDF is an image scan of the pages, not a text document, so trying to
find the text avails nothing. And as it's from 1917, modern scholars might
look a little askance at it - I suspect that my history tutor would say
something about the borders between history and antiquarianism. It's 375 or
so pages in total, although it looks like a good few are blank.

   Le meas,
   Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where