[Sca-cooks] turtle meat source and period turtle meat recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:20:03 PDT 2015

From the exotic-meats-msg Florilegium file:
<<< Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:16:33 -0400
From: "Philippa Alderton" <phlip at bright.net>
Subject: Re: SC - Thoughts on Food- reply, long.

As far as period oddities, Anthimus refers to organ meats such as kidneys,
stomach (tripe), matrix (sow belly), udder, liver, and many birds and
fishes, including lamphreys. Apicius refers to rose and violet wine, brain
sausages among many others, intestinal fat and intestines as casings,
nettles, smelt pie or sprat custard, ostrich, grane, thrush, figpeckers,
pheasant, and many other birds, sow's womb, tails and feet, lungs,chamois,
gazelle, wild sheep and dormouse, rays, squid, octopus and sea urchins, and
eels, including conger. Platina includes omentum,  maidenhair fern, heads
and giblets of capons and chickens, tounge, chicken and other animals
testicles testicles, porcupines and hedgehogs, brains and heads of all
species, eyes, hearts and lungs, liver, udders, spleens, kidneys, stomach,
fish eggs, several for hemp (cannabis), turtles, murex, and eels including
moray and conger.

Phlip >>>