[Sca-cooks] Quail eggs in gelatin?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Tue May 26 18:42:12 PDT 2015

Henry/Alex asked:
<<< Any ideas what might have gone into the "eyroun engele" in the coronation
menu of Henry IV?  I'm reading it as "en gele" = in gelatin, and guessing
that quail eggs might be the right kind to put in a royal nibble near the
end of a big feast, but beyond that I don't know any period recipes that
come close to saying how to make this and what ingredients to use. >>>

I like some of the other suggestions, but my first thought was hard-boiled quail eggs in a colored aspic. Unless it was in Lent, I’m not sure why actual eggs wouldn’t have been used. Other then perhaps to make it ‘more special’.

Here’s some of our previous discussions on aspic. Which I’ve not heard of or seen done much in the SCA. You could always use store-bought gelatin.
aspic-msg (48K) 9/29/14 Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/aspic-msg.html

If you have used aspic in an SCA feast, what did you do with it and how well did it go over?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com