[Sca-cooks] Uses for Whey?

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 10 18:01:24 PST 2015

My motivation for this is mundane, but I'm curious about period answers.

I make cheese, and a by-product is a LOT of whey.  You get something like 3
quarts of it per pound of cheese.

I'm looking for a use for it that isn't boiling it down to make brunost
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunost>, and isn't using it as soup stock.
I've heard that in period Iceland they pickled vegetables and meat in it,
but since pickling is a little dangerous microbially if you do it wrong,
I'd love to hear from other people who have done something similar.

Have you pickled using whey?  Have you found a better way to get rid of the
stuff?

--
Þórfinnr Hróðgeirsson