[Sca-cooks] Uses for Whey?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Nov 12 13:00:49 PST 2015

There are some good books on the history of milk and milk products. You might see about copies in your local library.

Milk and Milk Products: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Ethnological Research, Ireland, 1992 - Milk Products from Medieval to Modern Times Hardcover – June, 1994
by Patricia Lysaght (Editor) includes a paper on "The Use of Whey in Icelandic Households."

Milk-- Beyond the Dairy: Proceedings of the Oxford
Symposium on Food and ...
 By Harlan Walker is up on Google Books. http://tinyurl.com/oywyo7w

Whey is in the news and on the menus in Iceland these days.
The cheese by-product grannies kept in the fridge is having a revival, with Iceland's brightest new restaurants now including it on their menus.
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/oct/04/foodie-traveller-iceland-whey-skyr-cheese
http://icelandnaturally.com/article/icelandic-cuisine-seeing-whey-a-new-way

It's also an environmental problem.
Acid whey: a great band name and more

In 2013, the US magazine Modern Farmer published a story by reporter Justin Elliott titled, “Whey Too Much: Greek Yoghurt’s Dark Side.” It was an investigation, widely shared, regarding the disposal of acid whey in the US, a byproduct of “filtered yoghurts.”

Acid whey is a seemingly innocuous, watery liquid that accumulates when you keep filtering liquids from solids to produce your Greek yoghurt or your skyr. To make skyr, skim milk is fermented with specific bacteria and turned to curd. Then, the curd is ultra-filtered—mechanically, at major production facilities—until most of the liquid is gone and you have a thick, smooth skyr. One liter of skim milk will create 300 grams of skyr (about two single-serving containers) and 700 ml of acid whey.

http://grapevine.is/mag/articles/2015/06/20/harmful-byproduct-of-icelandic-skyr-production-reaching-the-countrys-largest-river/
Johnnae