[Sca-cooks] Uses for Whey?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 13 06:54:21 PST 2015

The pH is why whey is used mostly as a starter.  Sweet whey (rennet
produced) is 5.6 or higher.  Sour (or acid) whey (acid produced) is 5.1 or
lower.  Pure lactic acid goes below a pH of 3, but most lactic acid
fermentations don't get that low.  Whey is extremely susceptible to
infection, which is why whey fermentation requires a cool environment.
Iceland is a naturally cool environment, even in summer, so the use of whey
for preservation makes sense, especially if in continuous use.  In general,
pathogens don't develop in an active fermentation.

When you get around to trying it, let us know how it goes, especially where
the pH falls at various stages.

Bear

Thanks for the responses!

I think the Icelandic stuff was what I had in my head.  Looking for more
info on that, I found this scadian's blog
http://medievalcheese.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-preserve-vegetables-in-whey.html?view=classic
which at least indicates that literally pickling in 100% whey works, and
has some archaeological support, although who knows exactly what they were
doing in Iceland.  It seems unlikely to me that Icelanders would build
large vats to store whey if they were only using it as a culture starter.

Ricotta is a good idea, and I've done it, but it doesn't really solve the
problem of having too much whey because it just extracts protein from it.
You still have the whey afterwards.  My goal is to use the whey for
something constructive and not pour it down the drain.

When I get to trying this I'll monitor the pH of the whey - if it doesn't
get below 4.6 fairly quickly there's a food safety risk from botulism
toxin.  I suspect the whey will be more than acidic enough, though.