[Sca-cooks] Quince question - bletting!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Nov 17 04:42:39 PST 2015

Lovely recipes.

Yup, quinces and medlars are both bletted.  So are presimmons, chequers,
service tree fruit and mountain ash fruit.  The process reduces the
astringency of the fruit by reducing acids and tannins and increasing
sugars.

Having looked a little further into this. there are modern varietals of
quince that are less astringent and can be eaten without bletting.  What one
purchases at the market are likely from these modern varieties.

Bear

I've heard of bletting medlars, but not quinces. Have i missed that?

I buy quinces from the local market, The Berkeley Bowl. They were not
bletted. The quinces look fabulous this year.

As for quinces, there's a German recipe from the ca. 1350 Buch von Guter
Spiese for chicken and quinces i cooked for a feast that would be nice for a
family.

<recipes clipped>

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)