[Sca-cooks] Recipe to cure leprosy

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Oct 12 13:38:19 PDT 2015

Rumpolt 1581 has 67) Borrago Wein, the translation says "... takes away
many fantasies for ... leprosy."  So it's not clear exactly what the
recipe does.  It might not cure leprosy, but it does something beneficial.

Eberhard c. 1425 says (in the translation) "Nobody should eat milk and
fish at the same time as this causes leprosy."

No period reference that I have found so far for potatoes causing
leprosy, except possibly Caspar Bauhin (1596 or 1598), who is reported
to have "... gossiped that potatoes caused wind and leprosy ...".
However, it certainly was not a factor against early adoption, since we
have many references to people in Europe happily growing and eating
potatoes in the second half of the 1500s.

The potato is period in Europe.  The earliest ironclad evidence so far
is a record that potatoes were shipped from the Canary Islands to
Antwerp in 1567 (same source that Bear lists, though he has the date and
destination incorrect) (earlier reference Lobo-Cabrera, 1988).

While not completely ironclad, I conclude that the four recipes in
Ouverture refer to the potato, and if so they give a date for potatoes
being eaten in Europe in 1557.

There are other less solid references to the potato being in parts of
Italy in the 1560s, and being in parts of France in the 1540s.  There is
speculation (which I do not agree with) that a recipe in Rumpolt 1581
refers to the potato.

Thorvald