[Sca-cooks] Recipe to cure leprosy

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:30:51 PDT 2015

Sorry, I got you off the track with the potato reference. I included it in my message as I found it amusing but I personally have nothing to do with potatoes as a medievalist whose research terminates in 1474.

Johanna’s recommendation: http://his.library.nenu.edu.cn/upload/soft/haoli/114/372.pdf
is most moving and informative. If you have not read it do so because it is outstanding.

My overwhelming question remains an issue. I know about treatments for leprosy like applying lily oil and eating ground gold but I am looking for a medieval recipe thought to help cure it. My gut feeling is chicken broth as that was a cure all.

James Prescott says:
> Rumpolt 1581 has 67) Borrago Wein, the translation says "... takes away
> many fantasies for ... leprosy."  So it's not clear exactly what the
> recipe does.  It might not cure leprosy, but it does something beneficial.

What is the recipe?

> James continues: Eberhard c. 1425 says (in the translation) "Nobody should eat milk and
> fish at the same time as this causes leprosy.”
That is lovely nut what is the recipe?.