[Sca-cooks] Spit-Roasted Venison

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:23:43 PDT 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 01:48, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at gmail.com> wrote:

<<< I turned the meat 180 degrees every fifteen minutes or so (guessing at
> the time, not using a timepiece) for the first half of the cooking time,
> and then 90 degrees every ten minutes for the remainder. >>>
>
> I had imagined the spit turning continuously, but I guess I’m thinking of
> mechanical gadgets, or at meat spit turning dogs. This makes sense, though.
> I’d first wondered how you put on the butter and let it melt if the spit
> was turning continuously.

  I did consider continuous turning, but I think that's a later invention
as well. Although I'm sure the Vikings pressed children into service. And
there were kids at the event, some of whom were even enthused about helping
with the fire... but I think a few hours of spit-turning would have put
them right off. Neither dog present was in any way suitable as a spit dog -
the terrier was too small, and the setter much too cunning.

> Really? Why would they have wanted to import beech trees?

  As to why, I can't say, beyond that they're good timber for furniture,
but there were none in Ireland before that. Plenty now, though, even in the
few bits of old woodland we have left.

> Juniper, here, burns hot and I’m not sure it is the taste you want. I’d
> suggest a fruit tree or pecan.

  I don't know that there's a pecan tree in Ireland, but apple would do
very nicely, now that you mention it.

  Le meas,
  Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where