[Sca-cooks] On apples

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 22 04:31:17 PDT 2015

If you manage to produce crabapple cider, that seems to make good vinegar (at least if we can trust Hieronymus Tragus).

     Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> schrieb am 13:22 Donnerstag, 22.Oktober 2015:

 If as reported, it's  a Malus sylvestris, it appears to be a cider apple of long standing.

http://www.treesandhedging.co.uk/crab-apple-malus-sylvestris/p430

"A pretty, rounded tree, attractive both in blossom and in fruit. A British native, it is one of the ancestors of all our cultivated apples and is often seen in hedgerows. It makes a pretty specimen tree for the garden and is a good pollinator for other apples. It is a useful addition to woodlands, where it will support a range of insects and birds."
"
Flower, seed and fruit
The saucer-shaped five petalled white flowers are tinged pink and open in May. The small round green fruits ripen in autumn to yellow, flushed red. They are very sour even when ripe.

Uses
Crab apples are too sour to eat raw, but can be made into jams or added to other fruits where their high pectin content ensures a good 'set'. The have also been added to cider and were an ingredient of the medieval drink Lamb’s Wool. The close-grained wood is prized for wood turning, and it is also valued as a sweet-scented fuel."

Crab apple jelly would be a possible use.

http://www.greenfootsteps.com/crabapple-jelly-recipe.html#sthash.zKdgDqzh.dpbs

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/crab-apple-jelly

Other ideas

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2013/09/what-to-do-with-all-of-these-crabapples.html