[Sca-cooks] On apples

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 13:23:24 PDT 2015

Vrouw Lijsbet de Keukere said:
<<< I don't want to get my hopes up, but I will say that the prospect of having
unfettered access to a cultivar of apple that is very close to SCA period
is exciting, and has me preparing my mason jars. But before I get too far
ahead of myself, is anyone here familiar with this variety of apple? >>>

I want! I want! Something like this might get me back into making cider, although I’ve had spotty success with ciders, compared to meads. My previous attempts at making cider from fresh apples grew more mold than drinkable cider. :-(  But all I can find in fresh apples here is eating apples, and they are selected for appearance and not taste.

Here are a couple of Florilegium files that you might find of use:
crabapples-msg (8K) 1/ 6/12 Period crabapples and their uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/crabapples-msg.html

apples-msg (123K) 3/29/10 Period apples and apple recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/apples-msg.html

cider-art (23K) 1/31/95 Article on brewing ciders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-art.html

cider-msg (111K) 1/ 1/11 Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-msg.html

<<< Thank you for humoring me, and for your patience with the frequency of my
questions! >>>

Welcome to this list! Maybe what we need is some new folks to help stir up questions and conversation on this list. Lately, we’ve gone days without anything. :-( I can remember in other years when two or three digests per day was the usual.

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris