[Sca-cooks] Milt or soft roe

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Sep 5 22:26:16 PDT 2015

On 9/5/15 9:00 AM, Susan Lord wrote:
> Is milt, soft roe, male genitalia of fish containing sperm used as food available today? It was sold fresh in 15 C. and consumed as a delicacy. This is the first I have heard about it.

Here are Rumpolt recipes for milt.

Karpffen 6.  Boiled carp milt (Karpffen Milch)/ and pousen turtelet made
from it.  Take the milt/ set it on (the fire) in the water/ and salt/
let it simmer completely to the place (until completely done)/ cool it
nicely cleaned off.  Take a grated weck bread to it/ and several egg
yolks/ and see/ that you do not over salt it.  Then take butter in a
tart pan/ and fry it cleanly.  Then it is good and well tasting.

-- Modernly "Fischmilch" is the milt or soft roe.  Male testes and semen.

-- "Turtelet" is a type of omelet or fritata.  Pousen could be Pouesen
or pavis, but that doesn't fit. A tart pan has a cover so heat comes
from top and bottom.

I speculate that they had pond raised carp that came alive or very fresh
to the kitchen, since recipes for other fish sometimes call for carp blood.

Suppen 18. Take the milt from a carp/ simmer it with salt and water/
clean out it cleanly/ and take over it pea broth/ parsley root/ whole
and ground pepper also unclarified butter and salt/ let simmer together/
so it becomes good and well tasting. And when you will dress it/ then
arrange on toasted sliced bread. Thus one cooks and serves soup of carp
milt.

Suppen 33. Take herring and cut it from each other/ throw them into hot
Butter and roast rapidly/ strain though with good pea broth/ pepper and
yellow/ put salt and butter into it and let simmer together/ put into it
the milt whole from the herring and let made simmer. Also put into in
green herbs/ which are chopped small/ in this way it is good and well
tasting. And one calls it Herring soup.

Ranvaig