[Sca-cooks] Cant Remember Recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Sep 6 08:30:26 PDT 2015

I don't remember ever seeing such a recipe, but there are a few orange
sauces to serve with birds here and there in late period recipe collections
(I generally use Martino's when I'm not after a specific time and locale).

I have prepared the dish from the following recipe, which was well received
at the Elizabethan feast I was preparing.

Bear

To boyle a Capon with Orenges after Mistres Duffelds Way.
Take a Capon and boyle it with Veale, or with good marie
bone, or what your fancy is. Then take a good quantitie of
that broth, and put it in an earthen pot by it selfe, and put
thereto a good handfull of Currans, and as manie prunes,
and a few whole maces, and some Marie, and put to this
broth a good quantitiie of white Wine or of Calarret, and so
let them seeth softlye together; Then take your Orenges,
and with a knife scrape off oll of the filthinesse of the
outside of them. Then cut them in the middest, and wring
out the juyce of three or four of them, put the juyce into
the broth with the rest of your stuffe. Then slice your
Orenges thinne and have uppon the fire readie a skillet of
faire seething water, and put your slice Orenges into the
water and when that water is bitter, have more readie, and
so change them still as long as you can find the great
bitternesse in the water, which will be five or seven times,
or more. If you find need: then take them from the water,
and let that runne cleane from them: then put close
orenges into your potte with your broth, and so let them
stew together till your Capon be readie. Then make your
sops with this broth, and cast on a little Sinamon, Ginger,
and Sugar, and upon this lay your Capon, and some of
your Orenges upon it, and some of your Marie, and toward
the end of the boyling of your broth, put in a little
Vergious, if you think best.
The Good Huswives Handmaid, 1588

Hey guys,

It's been while, got an issue that's driving me nuts.  I'm vaguely
remembering a Tudor/Elizabethan or maybe even Jacobean recipe for a
Honey (and either lemon or Orange) glaze over Roasted birds (chicken I
think).  Cannot find the recipe in any of my usual spots.

Anyone have an idea?

Drakey.