[Sca-cooks] Mustard powder

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 16 19:20:30 PDT 2015

Looking at various recipes and nutrition data, I estimate that tumeric is
about 10% of the solid ingredients in ballpark mustards  which while
primarily for color does reduce the quantity of mustard seed used (I haven't
found enough data to estimate the difference by weight).  How much the
tumeric changes the flavor is a question I haven't answered.

Since the flavor and strength of any mustard seed is carried by enzymes in
the mustard, preparation creates an enzymatic reaction to propagate the
flavor.  A small amount of heat will increase the reaction significantly and
as the heat increases the reaction will denature the enzymes.  From the
little theory I've looked at on the subject, I think 100 F is about the
maximum temperature that can be used without damaging the product, and I
suspect 70-90 F might produce a better product.  I've got a number of
questions about how, when and how long to apply heat and what the actual
effects are.

Bear

I hadn’t realized that many of the modern, at least the “baseball” mustards
had replaced mustard seed with turmeric. I thought they just added that for
the color. no wonder those are not my favorite kind of mustard sauce. I also
had no idea that changing the temperature of the vinegar would affect the
heat of the mustard sauce.

Stefan