[Sca-cooks] Autumn cheese?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Sep 17 21:56:04 PDT 2015

I originally found the information of seasonal differences in butterfat in a
Soviet publication and found some confirmation for the idea in various very
dry papers from several ag school sources.

Spring is the normal calving time when forage is more plentiful and
nutritional needs of the calf are more easily met.  As available forage
decreases, meeting the nutritional needs of the calf requires more effort
and the butter fat increases.  Chemicals extracted from the forage can
effect the cheese, but that has nothing to do with butterfat content.
Actual natural calving time varies by latitude and region.  Calving time can
be shifted to any time of the year by controlled breeding which provides the
modern dairy industry with year round calving.  Calves are usually weaned
between 7 and 8 months, which normally will be October or November in
Northern Europe.

Whole milk, straight from the cow, normally runs between 3 and 5 percent
butterfat.   In the U.S., homogenized whole milk is 3.5 percent butterfat.
Serious cheesemakers either run their own dairy or purchase raw milk in bulk
and process it to meet their purposes.

Since we can and do standardize the milk before it enters the cheesemaking
process, seasonality of cheese is probably eliminated, until someone
reintroduces it as a marketing gimmick.

Bear

Bear said:
<<< It may be that "harvest cheese" is a category rather than a type.
Butterfat
in milk is lower in spring and summer and higher in fall and winter
(probably based on the natural calving season).  Thus, a harvest cheese
would be any cheese produced from August onward into Fall and Winter and
would have a higher butterfat content than other cheeses. >>>

Ok, I’ll grant that the butterfat content of the cheese is likely to be
affected by the time of year, but I’ve also seen accounts about the Spring
milk/cheese being affected by the herbs and the freshness of the grass and
foliage being eaten by the animals, as Ana suggests.

Why do you say lower butterfat in Spring and Summer? Do we have some figures
for this? I can well imagine the fat content varies seasonally, but wouldn’t
it need to be higher when the calves are first born? Which is in spring,
right?

<<< Butterfat content is not the issue it would have been in period given
modern
cattle breeding and year-round calving. >>>

And that assumes we are talking about “whole” milk. It seems like most of
the milk fat is skimmed off before we even get “whole” milk, much less 2 and
1 percent fat milk.

How is the milk fat regulated these days by cheese makers? Are they using
“whole” seasonally affected or not milk? Are they adding in more milk fat as
needed for particular cheeses?

For good or bad, I think we’ve probably eliminated the seasonality from
cheeses.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com