[Sca-cooks] honey

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Apr 28 13:55:17 PDT 2016

Yeah, as Bear says, it's pretty much the pasteurization issue. One of the things the confection recipes in al-Warraq call for is heated and skimmed honey. If you use grocery store generic honey, the foam you skim will be yellow-tan with caramel flavor undertones. You'll also have to heat it hotter to cause the foam to rise. Raw unfiltered honey produces white foam starting at a lower temperature and produces a lot more foam besides.

-- Galefridus