[Sca-cooks] 2016 Silly Season Starts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Aug 1 14:35:59 PDT 2016

National Union Catalog.  It's a a publication that was started in the 1950s
as an extension of the Library of Congress union cataloging project.  There
are two sections to the catalog, Pre-1956 and Post-1955.  The Pre-56 section
has been published in hard bound takes 130 feet of shelf space and weighs
roughly 3 tons.  The NUC is now published as microfiche.  It contains
roughly 20% more entries than Worldcat, although that is slowly being
corrected.  The NUC is considered the gold standard for North American
library catalogs.

I've encountered it once in my researches, so Johnna can certainly provide
more detail than I.

Bear

<<< All bibliographic catalogs and databases have their errors and
inconsistencies, but Worldcat beats using the printed volumes of the NUC
when it comes to a quick search.

Johnna >>>

Uh, for us non-librarians, can you translate that, please?
NUC? why is using the printed volumes important?

Thanks,
  Stefan