[Sca-cooks] upper crust

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 18:50:41 PST 2016

Hmmmm.... First I've seen of this, so thanks for the heads up. It does
raise some intriguing questions, especially since all the weights we have for
good white breads hover around a pound (usually less). and period images
regularly show either small spheres or half-slices, not the kind of "lid"
suggested here. So, was there a good white bread (since this does NOT seem to
regard trenchers) that was larger than the usual weights and images  suggest?

As for burning the bread, there are two issues. One is simply  that it is
hard to regulate a wood oven, and the heat varied by parts of the  oven (some
instructions actually referred to specific quarters of the oven). But  the
other is that according to humoral theory, the crust was bad for you, which
is probably another reason it was grated off. But then, that was probably
true  of the upper crust as well.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 12/12/2016 6:23:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,