[Sca-cooks] Pastelli and baked flour

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Dec 18 08:58:51 PST 2016

There are two reasons to toast the flour.  First, it coagulates the gluten
to prevent gluten strand formation.  Second, in my experience, any toasted
cereal flour produces a sweeter, nuttier flavor than raw flour.

I suspect that the second reason is more likely the actual purpose, as
modern cookie recipes tend to use raw flour.  Percentage of gluten tends to
be lower in European flours (especially pre-1600) due to softer varieties of
wheat.

Bear