[Sca-cooks] Pastelli and baked flour

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Dec 18 09:22:17 PST 2016

I think, though I am not certain, that the English term may be "pastille"
which derives from Latin through French.  The origin of the word is the
Latin "pastellum" meaning "dough or paste."  The oldest definition of which
I an aware is a small roll of fragrant dough for perfuming the air (the same
definition is also provided to the Spanish "pastilla").   Later meanings are
"a soft candy" and "a lozenge" (as in throat lozenge).

Bear

Also, there is a word in Martino, "pastello/pastillo," of whose meaning
Rebecca is not sure. The translator of Platina translates it as "roll,"
which is itself somewhat ambiguous. Does anyone here know what it  means?

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com