[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 14:44:00 PST 2016

I believe it's just a regional variation, indicating the specific item used
 for the (more general) leavening. Cotgrave records "leveton" as a word for
 leavening and I suspect both have the sense of the specific mass put in to
 leaven something as opposed to the general function of the leavening. But
the  term seems unrelated to any standard French term, so this is
necessarily a  guess.

Jim  Chevallier

Contributor, Savoring Gotham
A Food  Lover's Companion to New York City
Editor-in-chief: Andrew F. Smith  and Foreword by Garrett Oliver
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/savoring-gotham-9780199397020?cc=us&
lang=en

In a message dated 2/1/2016 2:36:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,