[Sca-cooks] Bread Puzzles

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Feb 1 23:20:27 PST 2016

If you assume 58 lbs of flour and 9lbs of bran (not actually bran but
flour with a good deal of bran in it) plus ten pounds of leaven, how do
you end up with a total weight of bread, white and dark, of only about
68 pounds? Even if you assume that, at some point in the process, ten
pounds was pulled out to leaven the next batch, which I don't think the
text says, you have 67 pounds of flour producing only 68 pounds of bread.

And it's even worse for the white bread, where you have 58 pounds of
flour (plus salt and perhaps leaven) producing just under 53 pounds of
bread. Not possible. Which is why my interpretation starts with
substantially less than 58 pounds of white flour.

I was assuming that your version of the leaven added flour and perhaps a
little water to the old dough, left that over night to freshen the
sourdough, then added that and water to the main flour to make the
dough. But I gather that on your interpretation, the leavening goes into
the main body of flour, with water, rises over night, then a little more
flour is added.

I'll be trying it on my assumption tomorrow.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com