[Sca-cooks] Pretzels

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Feb 22 21:35:15 PST 2016

It would depend what counted as a pretzel.  "Syringe fritters" or
equivalent (e.g. beignet) appear in late period cookbooks.  They are
dough that is squeezed through an opening, usually into hot fat.

The principal similarity is that they can be in a knotted shape, or
almost any other twisty shape the cook chooses.  The principal
difference is that they are deep fried or shallow fried, not baked.

Here's a hybrid sample recipe (most of #14 and a bit of #15) from
Ouverture 1604 (my translation):

<begin quote>

14.  To make dough for beignet or fritter.

Take a chopine of cream, and boil it in a frying pan with a bit of
butter, then take white flour, and make the dough in the frying pan on
the fire: mix it well with a wooden ladle.  Then break four eggs in, and
beat it well with the ladle, so that the eggs are well mixed into the
dough, then take four more eggs and beat them once more until the dough
is soft like a thick batter, add as many eggs as necessary so that the
dough is soft enough.

Then take butter well boiled so that the salt is out, then put the
butter on the fire so that it is a bit hot. [end quote from #14]

[begin quote from #15] Have a speriche or syringe with a small iron
inside, having two or three holes, or a single hole if you wish; squeeze
the dough through; and cook them in butter like the others.

<end quote>

The batter is very like pâte a choux, squeezed through a syringe into
the hot butter.  For the syringe part, compare the modern Spanish "churro".

Thorvald