[Sca-cooks] Pretzels

Rebecca Friedman rebeccaanne3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:17:58 PST 2016

You're right, thank you. I remember reading it as simnel, because it comes
up on ciambella too... that was silly of me.

And it could be a double diminutive, or ciambella could be coming from the
adjective bella (beautiful) or some other form - -ella is a diminutive, but
occasionally you get words with it that just have those sounds without that
meaning.

Note that a bracciatello is a *large *ciambella.

I would not assume that "braccietto" and "bracciello" are the same; while
Florio *does *list "bracciello" as the same as "bracciatello" (and
"braccietto" is a bracer) the use of a different diminutive often indicates
a different meaning. For example, if I wanted to say "little book" I could
not use libretto; I'd have to find a different diminutive. And if I heard
"librino" or "librello" (I never have yet), I would immediately assume they
were a diminutive of book but had nothing to do with the opera.

I unfortunately can't offer much in terms of fat or thin - the Italian
description of ciambella is "in forma d'anello" (in the form of a ring),
which is pretty generic. (If it helps, that dictionary gives "spira" as the
Latin translation for "ciambella" - I don't know how reliable its Latin
translations generally are, I haven't used them much. And that's the 3rd
edition, in 1691; the 1612 edition doesn't have a Latin translation for
ciambella. Still, if anyone knows a cookbook in Latin with a recipe by that
name...)

And I'm glad if I can be helpful, it's fun!

Rebecca