[Sca-cooks] The Kitchen, Food, and Cooking in Reformation Germany

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Fri Jul 1 15:08:43 PDT 2016

Thanks for your efforts around reasonable pricing, Giano. It’s appreciated.

Sometimes it seems, these days, like University Presses think they’re supposed to be Medieval Guilds — price things sky-high to keep the info from the plebes, while at the same time justifying the high prices because you can’t expect too many sales!  self-fulfilling prophecy!

and why the e-edition should cost ONE PENNY, literally, less than the hardcopy! Another anti-plebe Medieval Guild trick? maybe … so the sales of the grudgingly few hard-copies they ARE willing to produce don’t get reduced by the e-edition being more reasonably priced?

and yes, our house of “private scholars” IS bitter and resentful about “keeping the info from the plebes”! That is, IN the Ivory Tower, so only the Sorcerers’ official Apprentices (the Professors’ & their anointed Grad Students) ever get to see or study it. For decades. From one century into another! How that jibes with “publish or perish” eludes me, but there is SO much that is glancingly referred to but never published or even displayed on-line… argh!

sorry for the thread-jack, but it sorta’ hits a nerve.

chimene