[Sca-cooks] Prince-Bisket Question

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 11:02:42 PDT 2016

A tithe from 1087 in France specifies that the son of the family will give
a biscuit each year. Clearly this would have been somewhat larger than what
we  think of as a biscuit now. "Bis cuit" (bis coctam) means no more than
that it  was twice-cooked, or, by extension, very hard. Hard enough to be
kept for sea  voyages and broken with a special pestle in monasteries. But it
tells us nothing  about size.

So it is quite possible that the pans here were pretty big,  but really one
can't say. The only thing that is virtually certain is that it  would have
been baked until very hard.

jC

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 7/23/2016 9:07:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,