[Sca-cooks] Zinziber: Sauces from Poitou

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 19:45:17 PDT 2016

Well, it is, as the title says, sauces. So maybe not that much to work
with.

This was originally touted as "the oldest European cookbook", which was
strange, since Faith Wallis had actually published excerpts from Anthimus,
whose  text is (like this one) a medical one, but much older and with greater
variety.  That claim has disappeared in the final product.

Arnaldus' recipes are somewhat closer to your persona's time than the usual
 fare (his dates are  c. 1240–1311).  I've actually  teased out a few on my
blog:

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-doctors-blancmange-medieval-recipes
.html

But that was before learning that the common edition of his  collected
works is highly corrupt, and some of these are properly credited to  other
writers. Haven't had a chance to backtrack and check against this list to  see
which:

http://grupsderecerca.uab.cat/arnau/en/apocrifs

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD  HISTORY:Seventeenth century bread
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-centur
y.html_ (http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2015/08/french-bread-history.html)

In a message dated 6/18/2016 6:54:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,