[Sca-cooks] Medieval wine (was: I Tried a Medieval Diet...)

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 21 23:18:56 PDT 2016

It would be interesting to see whether any writer defined what 'old wine' meant in this context. I doubt they were thinking of the kind of age modern vintages routinely get.

Italy and the Arab world would have used pottery vessels to store wine, like the Romans did, so they would have been able to age it the same way. In the fifteenth century, we have evidence from northern Germany (England, too, IIRC, though I'm not sure) that wine was aged in casks for several years. It seems that only high quality wine was chosen for this, though, and it's quite possible that the ability to age well was part of what distinguished high-quality wine from common.

IS

Giano

    Galefridus Peregrinus <galefridus at optimum.net> schrieb am 2:29 Mittwoch, 22.Juni 2016:

 Several Tacuinum Sanitatis manuscripts (Italy, mostly 14th and 15th centuries) as well the original Arabic Taqwim al-Sihha (Baghdad, 11th century) explicitly mention old wine. It therefore seems to me that medieval folks were indeed familiar with aged wine.

-- Galefridus Peregrinus