[Sca-cooks] I Tried a Medieval Diet, and also watered wine

The Eloquent Page books at TheEloquentPage.com
Wed Jun 22 13:54:51 PDT 2016

If you were in a village the local cesspits, not to mention the local
animals, might be contaminating the water - or it might be fine.  I
stayed at a farmhouse here in Vermont once.  The little pond near the
house had a high bacterial count (due to the number of local birds that
frequented the site), and even swimming was potentially hazardous.  No
every villager could afford a well.  In town and cities water
contamination was nearly always a problem.   The most desirable water,
according to some period medical sources, was rainwater.

As for the wine, I have a vague memory that in ancient times wine was
often sold concentrated so that it would be cheaper to ship, with the
expectation that it would be diluted when serving.  I'd have to try to
find the references.

KatherineSlough