[Sca-cooks] Raw Cookie Dough Warning

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jun 30 13:42:28 PDT 2016

Since cookies don't depend on gluten, you can toast the flour, which can
produce a nuttier flavor in the cookies.  Spread the flour on a jelly roll
pan and heat until it slightly darkens (should be over 140 F at that point).
This coagulates the proteins and starts the Maillard reaction.  The flour
may clump, so sifting or sieving is recommended.  The flour will not be
usable for bread.  There is a period recipe for "fine cakes" that calls for
toasting the flour.

If your concern is e coli, pre-heat the oven before placing the flour in it.
Subjecting e coli to increasing heat improves its heat tolerance and
increases the required heating times.  You will need to reach at least 140 F
to kill e coli and the actual time at temperature required varies by strain.
Microwave probably won't work for this application.

That said, you're talking about a lot of flour, which is not as fine a media
for e coli as ground beef, and a small number of infected people.  The
probability of any individual becoming ill is relatively low, but it is
possible.  Up to you whether you want to take the chance.

Bear

Buzz Kill.
How about we toast our cookie flour in the oven?
Microwave it?
Randell

In case anyone did not hear the warning on the US news today:

FDA Warns You Should Never Eat Raw Cookie Dough Again.

<clipped>