[Sca-cooks] Keeping pork moist in a recipe

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Mar 2 23:22:27 PST 2016

Greetings,

On reading the following recipe, I predicted that the result would have
a rather dry pork.  I was right.  It wasn't super dry, but it couldn't
be called moist.

Is it possible, without varying the recipe greatly, to end up with pork
that isn't quite so dry?

Source: Battus, Carolus.  Cocboeck.  1593.

English translation by me:

110 How to make sauce on a pig's-hotchpotch

Take raw pork, broil very black on a roaster and then remove.  Cut in
pieces as large as it pleases you and then take flesh-broth or clean
water and put therewith vinegar, some salt, red wine, pepper, cinnamon,
cloves.  Leave together to boil, then add your broiled flesh and leave
together to stew until it is enough and serve.

Redaction:

I stayed fairly closely to the recipe.  I had butterflied loin chops,
rather than a roast.  Instead of broiling the pork "very black", which I
wasn't going to interpret literally, I broiled it to about a medium or
medium-dark brown.

The recipe doesn't say to marinate in advance, so I did not.

I cut the broiled pork into approximately 3/4 inch cubes.

The recipe says to stew afterwards, and I did that for about 30 minutes,
plus it all sat cooling slowly for about an hour until served, so it had
a fairly good chance to 'marinate' after the broiling.

Any experience / advice / thoughts ?

Thorvald