[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 119, Issue 5

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Mar 4 12:24:42 PST 2016

Here you go!

-- Galefridus

==================
 From Avicenna:

Isfidaj -- White Lead

Nature: It is the ashes of lead. When lead is burnt on fire it
becomes red lead (red oxide of lead) and acquires tenuity. All kinds
of lead are used with vinegar or with salt. There are other methods
of using leads as described by some authors in their books.

Temperament: It is cold and dry in the second degree.

Actions and properties: The lead processed with vinegar becomes
highly rarefactive and it quickly reaches the deeper parts of the body.
Leads processed with other substances are not so rarefactive but are

agglutinant, especially the red lead.

Swellings and pimples: It softens cold and hard swellings.

Ulcers and wounds: Lead, especially the red one, when incorporated
in ointments, heals the wounds by promoting the growth of
(healthy) flesh and removing the decayed flesh. The red lead is more
potent in this respect.

Ocular organs: Lead is useful for pimples on inner side of eye.
Excretory organs: Lead is enumerated among drugs which are useful in
anal rupture.

Poisons: Lead is a poisonous drug. Details are given in our
chapter on Poisons.

 From the Minerals and Chemicals glossary in al-Warraq:

isfidhaj or isbidaj: ceruse, white lead pigment obtained by exposing
anuk (also called usrub) lead to viegar, and letting it build up on the
metal sheets the rust accumulates on copper sheets. It is then gathered
and mixed with a sour agent to bleach it. Women use it as a whitening
agent for facial make up. Al-Warraq also mentions it as a food colorant
[see p 93, end of chapter 3: Spices and Aromatics].