[Sca-cooks] Millet

Nazirah Garrison nazirah.garrison at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:24:28 PDT 2016

> So Sara has hit it on the head with her interpretation of the recipe -
> cook immediately to prevent dough from drying out and cracking. - A
> thousand thanks!
>
> You're most welcome -- my experience with that comes from the Indian
flatbread mentioned -- bajri no rotli -- it is terribly finicky and the
dough is prone to drying out. For that reason, we generally mix the millet
with other flours (generally wheat or chickpea) to mitigate some of the
issues, and apply a thin coating of cooking oil or melted ghee to the dough
ball to help retain moisture.

And FWIW, my grandmother would have used terminology that would translate
to "spoiled" or "deteriorated" when referring to the effects of leaving the
dough unattended for a period of time.