[Sca-cooks] Table condiments

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 12 17:25:39 PST 2016

I am not sure that there is one answer which fits all, given all the regions and the length of time involved for the medieval and Renaissance eras. To be mentioned first of all, Status and wealth are important factors of course. What might appear on a noble table as part of the set comprising a silver nef say would not be found on a lower class merchant or yeoman table. Would a monastery table offer a range of condiments? Would a tavern in Poland, Ireland, Sweden or Spain offer the same condiments? Given the costs of salt and pepper, would one expect to see them on most tables? Think also about dietary theories and how dishes are "improved" by additions of spices or vinegars or wines?

Perhaps it seems simplistic but I would recommend starting with the online collection of cookery books found at http://medievalcookery.com/etexts.html . They are nicely divided by country. Read through a few and note for example how dishes are sauced or seasoned before serving. Note how the recipes or instructions end. How many dishes are strewed or sprinkled with sugar? How many or if any call for being served with sauce on the side? When does mustard for instance appear or not appear?

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad