[Sca-cooks] Norse cooking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Nov 14 17:45:40 PST 2016

If it were I, half a roasted salmon, served cooled, whole grain barley bread
or rye bread baked on a hearth stone, skyr (hard to get in the US, plain
yogurt is a cheat replacement) which can be used on the bread or the salmon
or have fruit and nuts added for dessert, blackberries, walnuts (imported
during the Viking Age), and a small pot of honey.  A grazing lunch.

I would also serve the Crown a mug of whole milk if they aren't lactose
intolerant.  Scandinavians of the day drank whey and buttermilk after using
fresh milk for cheese, butter and other dairy products.  Offering whole milk
would be a sign of respect and a subtle demonstration of wealth and power.
And don't ask me about the documentation for that one.  I came across it
about 40 years ago and the source has disappeared from my mind and my notes.

Sounds like a fun project.

Bear

Bear,

I was tasked by TRM Trimaris to handle to royal luncheon at Gulf Wars this
year. They know I do period cooking only for events, and are currently
having a Norse reign. So I get to have some fun :)

- Christoph

With great cupcakes come great responsibility