[Sca-cooks] Define "To Mill"?

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:21:01 PST 2016

From: JIMCHEVAL at aol.com

 >Actually I'm mistaken in referring to it as a "whisk" - it is a kind
 >of ridged wooden stick, still used in some parts of the world. There's
 >a good write-up on it here:

 >http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/batidor-batirol-molinillo-chocolatera-atbp

I actually knew about molinillos (as a Spanish teacher) and, while any
here in Cleveland would probably involved driving downtown (shudder!), I
found one sold by Walmart and ordered it yesterday. It won't get here
before I will try the recipe, but that can only serve to encourage me to
make it again. I'm also thinking of buying one of those single
(beaters?) that you stick in a cup and it will whir to mix up the
liquid. I don't think there are any non-electric, hand-held ones now,
but my parents had one that you pumped up and down and it did the same
back and forth rapid motion that a molinillo would do.

(snip)
 >I presume you're melting chocolate into the milk (or even water), not
 >using  powder? Its use assumes a pretty thick chocolate.

The recipe calls for the chocolate to be "milled" into a small amount of
boiling water first. Since it's a short recipe, here it is:

MRS. MARY EALE’S RECEIPTS, 1718, Edition of 1733, page 91

To make Chocolate-Cream.

Take a Quarter of a Pound of Chocolate, breaking it into a Quarter of a
Pint of boiling water; mill it and boil it, ‘till all the Chocolate is
dissolv’d; then put to it a Pint of Cream and two Eggs well-beaten; let
it boil, milling it all the while; when it is cold, mill it again, that
it may go up with a Froth.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming