[Sca-cooks] boiling/browning meat

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 05:35:17 PST 2016

Hrothny mentioned:
<<< Also, if you are up for it, try cooking a cut of beef in a big pan of water
and then serving it with mustards and sauces on the side. It is a very odd
way of cooking nowadays but actually works quite well for browning the meat
and retaining its moisture. We tried it and found that when the cut releases
a 'circle' of red cells around it into the water it is done. (Our first
tries were a little overcooked). People watching were entranced by the idea
so if your sideboard has room for a teaching display this would be fun. And,
of course, tasty. >>>

Stefan replied:
>>Interesting. I’ve been trying to do something similar here at home. Stewing/boiling meat in a little water to try to cook it though and then as the water boils away, browning it in the meat sauces that have been released. I usually have used only a finger width or so of water. How much did you use? Over the level of the meat or less?<<

Having a reproduction Oseburg set, I used an iron pot over the fire and filled it 3/4 with water, so about a gallon and a half, then let it come to a boil and put in a 4-5 pound bottom round. It turned brown almost instantly and we let it simmer until we 'thought' it was done - which was a bit beyond the point after we'd noticed the interesting ring of red that blossomed out around it. Our thoughts after pulling it out was that we should have pulled it when that ring appeared. As it was, it was still barely pink in the centre, cut easily, and disappeared down the fighter's gullets much faster than we expected.

Hrothny